Friday, August 22, 2008

A Safety Net


Life is delicate. No matter how we think we can see what's coming around the corner, life can change faster than we blink.



This summer has been an up-and-down journey for me. God has a way of exposing fears in our lives. At least He does in mine!


Our overactive imaginations can paint horrible scenarios. Maybe it's the writer in me or the flair for the dramatic, but it happens. Sometimes my imagination races along. (Oh, if only I could find that brain setting to use when writer's block kicks in.)


I realized as my imagination kept up its journey, I was still trying to remain in control. Because, really, we want a backup plan, don't we? We'd like to have some assurance that although our world gets shaken to its foundation, there'll be that happy ending.


When all is well, do we find ourselves praying to God, "Don't let X happen to me." I found myself making a bargain. "Well, if X happens, then I would like Y to follow." I wanted a backup plan, a safety net. But what if Y doesn't follow?


Like my crazy imagination, our very real lives can be shaken and altered forever. So what then? If like Job, that which we fear most comes upon us? Where is our faith? I find it is easy to trust God when life runs smoothly with only occasional hiccups and bumps in the road.


We do have a safety net, and we don't hold onto it while we fall. I know I don't hold mine. You don't see the highwire walker making sure their net is secure while they're performing their routine. It's impossible. And the victim in the burning building must trust that when she leaps from the window, the firefighters will catch her.


We have one guarantee to start with: We are not alone.


The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Deuteronomy 31:8


Jesus said: "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33


Now, I just need to keep reminding myself that and start using my overactive imagination for my books.

2 comments:

Rene Perez said...

Yes, I can relate to this post. At one point I decided that keeping a pair of scissors in the car was a good idea. If my car ran off a bridge and fell in the water, I might have to cut seat belts to get us out. I've always got a plan. God laughs at plans I hear. Anyway... wonderful post.

squiresj said...

Whow - I can totally relate to this post. All week I have said I am tired of a rollar coaster life. I want my life back to stable the way it was when I married. The way it was before rhuemotoid arthritis, knee replacement, ankle fusion, and now maybe a disk problem to be repaired. Life has hit me hard in the past few years. Circumstances have about drowned me. So thanks for the words of encouragement.
God Bless.