Thursday, August 07, 2008

Longing for Maine...






















I've lost count of how many consecutive days that it's hit 100 degrees or higher here in our area of Texas. Tuesday I spent some time in the pool at twilight, exercising in the tepid water and trying to vacuum it, too. Our local news station says that the utility commission is asking Texas residents to turn their air conditioning setting up to 80 degrees tomorrow between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., which is the hottest part of the day here.
And so my thoughts drift back to November, when we were in New England for my sister's wedding. After the wedding, my other sister took us on a day trip to Maine's southern coast. We visited the Nubble Light House, and froze. We walked the entire Marginal Way and froze. My cheeks were numb, my leather coat felt like paper. The wind chilled my ears. Oh, how glorious! Can't you see from the pictures how cold we were?
NOTE: Since I wrote this post, we received the leftovers from tropical storm Edouard. Which was only a little bit of rain, and it only got up to 91 today. But we had 11 straight days over 100 degrees! Whew.

1 comment:

Rachel Hauck said...

Hey! Maine sounds like a wonderful place to visit about now!

But, I love the heat! I'm always cold.

Love you girl and keep vacuuming that pool!

Rachel