Friday, May 20, 2005

Dancin' in the Streets... Or at least through the living room

On Today's Menu:
Buttercream Icing, A Whole Bowl Just for ME!

I interrupt my jury duty story with a thrilling bit of news. This Tuesday, I received "the e-mail." My novella has been accepted for publication next summer! Three of my author friends and I submitted a proposal together. Oh, I screamed. I scared my husband. I wrote one of my friends and asked her, "Does this mean what I think it does?" The publisher already sent me a PDF contract and I've signed two copies and popped it in the mail to them. This fall, I was planning to go to a writer's conference and now it's all covered.

After my posts of "The Prize in the Cereal Box" and "Uphill Both Ways in the Snow" I'm finally seeing some fruit of my labors. Yes, I believe my writing has a purpose even if it's not accepted for publication. Still, though, I really, really wanted a fiction contract--one with my name on the cover.

My life is full. I have many blessings beyond this contract, beyond writing. I have a wonderful husband, two great teenagers, a good job, family, friends--I could go on. This week though, I feel like I've been handed a bowl of dee-licious buttercream icing to go with my cake. And I can eat all I want. Yes, I've been flying!

I do have to come down and get to work on the book though. The sugar rush feels good!!

2 comments:

Robin Bayne said...

Congrats to you!!!! Don't eat all that buttercream icing by yourself now, save me some : )

Rachel Hauck said...

Great post, Lynette. I still smile when I think of that day.

When the book comes out, I'm going to visit Texas. We can all get together for a signing.

Rachel