Friday, January 28, 2005

Is Image Anything?

On Today's Menu:
A Slice of Pepperoni Pizza.
Pan-style, from Pizza Hut.
Hey, it's Friday night!


6:30 p.m. From where I sit in front of the kitchen PC, I can hear the familiar chant from the TV: "Wheel--of--Fortune!" I just love how people introduce themselves.

"Hi, I'm Delbert Gulch and I'm married to a wonderful woman and have two terrific kids."

As if anyone would give a glimpse of their reality. "Hi, I'm Delbert Gulch. The battleax in the front row is my wife and the two kids are headed for juvie hall." Not that everyone's family is miserable, but honestly, how many bazillions have anything that wonderful/terrific?

Yet who wants to go public with their little dysfunctions anyway? Of course, someone might if the money is right. Or if you get on Dr. Phil and you can get a huge dose of humility. I prefer to be quietly humiliated in the comfort of my own home, thank you very much.

I tell my two teenagers, "You don't have to share everything you know." There's a time and a place for taking care of that dirty laundry. There's a time to go out without makeup. Image isn't everything, but there are some images that don't need to be seen.

So thank you, Delbert Gulch, for being married to a wonderful woman and having two terrific kids. I'm sure your wife has quirks that drive you crazy and the kids aren't perfect, but that's okay. You're just around to play Wheel. We'll see you for 30 minutes, and then you'll go back to your reality. Enjoy the ride!

And now, I must get back to that pizza. Oh wait...the teens ate it all...

No comments: