Monday, July 28, 2008

Money-saving Monday! Buying in Bulk?

I think we're going to take the plunge and get a Sam's membership. This past Thursday I was my friend Lisa's guest at our local Sam's Club that's about 30 miles away from us. Since I'm pretty familiar with the prices of items we usually buy, I was able to compare prices at Sam's. Overall, I think it's a toss-up. Some items--especially the brand-name multi-packs of products we usually buy--were more expensive. But then some of their frozen foods were a better deal than our local Wal-Mart, where we do the bulk of our grocery shopping. My one triumphant purchase on Thursday was a big honkin' glass jar of sea salt with its own grinder attached. It's a monster jar, and only cost $3.88. Much smaller containers at a regular store cost that much.

The important think to consider when buying bulk is realizing how much space you have to store items. Plus, will you use the products before they go bad (in the case of food)? Will it benefit you in the long run to NOT have to purchase these particular items as often?

Since we have our own business, CJ can buy us a Business membership for $35. Since it's a membership, Sam's also offers other benefits such as eye wear and travel discounts. We'll see if this membership benefits us or not. And I know CJ will enjoy ogling the HDTVs!

No comments: